Friday, April 24, 2015

Clomid is a Super Villain or "I'm Sorry for what I said on Clomid." (February to April)


So here is the thing about finally having answers, you are equal parts relieved and angry. One part of you is extremely excited to begin your treatment plan and the other can't believe you had to wait this long. I felt like I'd wasted months not ovulating. (Hubby did not feel this way. And that's ok!) 
As I started to come out of the "infertility closet" I found that although my fantastic, sexy, loving husband was a great support system that nothing beats venting to girlfriends. Since it is National Fertility Awareness Week, I encourage you to reach out to a female friend. It will make a huge difference. Hubby should be supportive but chances are that he is stressing too. Give him a break and vent to a close friend. To my close friends: I simply adore you. I couldn't do this without. 

Ok so now that you've established a support system and a treatment plan, get ready for change. My treatment plan involved a crazy super villain of a drug called clomid. It's a very popular drug used to help women ovulate by blocking hormones. I know what you're thinking.... Why the heck would I want to block my hormones? Well it only blocks your hormones during days 5-7 ( some times earlier or later depending on you doctors instructions). You body senses that you are low on hormones and begins rapidly producing. This push of hormones should cause you to ovulate and develop better quality eggs. It can also cause multiple eggs to release (read: increased possibility of twins). It will also cause dry skin, acne, mood swings, hot flashes, morning sickness, emotional breakdown when you are near baby cloths, stores, or toys, and everyone's favorite.... Increased sex drive. Nothing says sexy like acne and puking! 

So yes, clomid is a super villain. You can't deny its amazing power but you also really hate it. My first month of clomid was successful in terms of ovulation...yay step one! You will need a blood test on the 21st day of your cycle to confirm ovulation. Unfortunately, no conception for us. My progesterone level at day 21 was a 16.2 which is good but not high enough to support conception. So I had to wait until cycle day 30 to confirm that we did not conceive. I took it hard. There are tons and tons of success stories about women who just needed one round of clomid and boom! Pregnant.
During my two week wait, the symptoms of clomid kicked my ass. It kicked my ass so badly, that I decided I need to tell my boss. I knew that in addition to all the days I would need to leave early for blood work that I would also be puking at my desk and having hot flashes in meetings. Now listen, I am not suggesting that everyone go tell their bosses. I have an amazingly supportive boss who believes that family is the most important part of a person's life. If you really think you will need some extra time off or that these treatments may negatively affect the quality of your work, maybe speak to your HR department.



So I am now past my second round of clomid and waiting for my day 21 results to confirm ovulation. If ovulation is confirmed by Monday I'll have 5 more days of waiting before a pregnancy test. Next week will most likely be the hardest week of the month. Between the horrible side effects of clomid and the stress of waiting, I know that there is going to be a "ranting" post sometime next week. I apologize a head of time! 
Thanks for reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment