Tuesday, February 16, 2016

I'm back and I'm making a human!

At last...

Alright friends so I am sure that my sudden and lengthy absence was a pretty big clue that we had something cooking. I knew we weren't fooling anyone but it seemed important to play this one pretty close to the chest. So here is a quick recap of the last 3 months. I promise to give more detail in later posts! ( Like registry craziness, morning sickness, and crying during Disney commercials) 

December:
You saw on my previous post that the doctor called with great test results. My progesterone was high enough to support pregnancy and I was just playing the waiting game to see if implantation was successful. 

So I was waiting.....

And waiting.....
And waiting.....
And then finally...

YAY! This test was taken 15DPO!

So finally, just a few days before Christmas, we had confirmation that implantation was successful and an embryo was chugging along. Now if you are wondering about 15DPO, that means that it was 15 days past my estimated ovulation date or 1 day after AF's (Aunt Flow's) expected arrival. Why is this significant? Well those fancy $20 test claim to detect pregnancy as early as 6 days before AF. LIES! So do yourself (and your wallet) a favor and don't keep tests in your house. Wait until you are late and then go buy one. I wasted a bunch of time, money, and stress trying to confirm pregnancy too soon. 

January:

My first appointment wasn't until 8 weeks. This appointment was terrible.  They were training a new tech and she had a bunch of difficulty entering my information into the system. They couldn't detect a heartbeat. I was given paperwork for an ultra sound and made an appointment for the very next day. Heart rate was confirmed at 169 BPM.


That floating ball is a yolk sac...not a disembodied head (FYI)


Because of the issues with the Tech entering information incorrectly, I actually had to go in again a few days later. The information in the system was a mix of my past pregnancy and my current pregnancy which was less than helpful for my doctors. At the second appointment the doctor informed me that I had a cyst on each of my ovaries. Not great news but no terrible. It also meant that I got to go in to Maternal Fetal Medicine at 12 weeks for a follow up. (Yay extra Ultrasounds!)

February: 

We scheduled my 12 weeks ultrasound on our 2 year anniversary. (In hindsight not the best idea because I was terrified we would get bad news and ruin our day) We go great news and it made our day even more special. The cysts are almost completely gone (most likely they were a result of extended clomid use) AND we have a crazy active beautiful little baby. 

Already sucking his/her thumb!

So our little Spud (yes, I call the baby Spud...look at that first ultrasound and tell me you don't see a potato) is crazy active (definitely my husband's child). Our amazing tech had to poke my belly to get the baby to flip the right way. Every time she tried to take a picture BAM flipped again. Waving arms and kicking legs made for some blurry pictures but they were able to get a good NT measurement. (This measurement helps identify higher chances for chromosomal conditions including Down syndrome.) We are also doing some sequential testing and clotting testing. It is recommended that expectant mothers under go clotting testing if they ever experienced a fetal demise after movement and heartbeat is confirmed. Luckily even if you test positive the treatment is simply a baby aspirin. 

The appointment went very well although we discovered that some of the tests we requested from the previous pregnancy were never completed. We will follow up with some additional blood tests in March and the 20 week ultrasound in April. 

Today:
So that is where we are! Now that we reached 12 weeks our chances of miscarriage are down to 1%. My doctor felt that it was total reasonable to be excited and share our news. Our announcement went live yesterday on our second anniversary. I finally feel like it's real :)


Here is our announcement, just in case you missed it!


No comments:

Post a Comment